Monday

NEW YORK IS A TRIP...

And I am not talking a vacation ya'll. Dogs poop on the street, trash is brought to the curb and rat running up on you in the subway is an everyday occurence. However, there are some great things about New York. The diversity, if you want ethnic all you have to do is look around the whole world lives in New York. There are nooks and crannies everywhere with a great little boutique, a yummy bakery or that place where you can get crazy winter hats for cheap. New York is a place of both isolation and together and the place where I learned how to express my true feelings. I am still working on me, and making sure I stay true to how I feel, and how it is expressed to others. I embrace my crazy superwoman self, who sometimes needs to sit down somewhere. I fight the good fight with smokers who continually attempt to choke the very life from me by smoking outside of my window. I find new and exciting places to go while journeying to the dentist, internship interviews and in search of the perfect prom dress. I have created and entirely new language with my friends that only we understand and can laugh at and I have helped people who were dead set against therapy see that it can be helpful to the most "normal" of people. I have learned that the most important part of being a Drama Therapist is believing that your client can get better and equally as important, seeing the people who are in the room. I have learned that we treat people and not symptoms, that sometimes just a person staying in the room for 5 minutes is progress when their world is wrought with delusions and hallucinations. I have realized that going to FAO Schwarz just to look at the tall building next to it and try not to vomit because it is so high, is self care, because I am tapping into my inner child. I have learned that trust is hardly earned and easily lost. I have learned that ALL emotions are okay, it is all in how they are expressed. I have learned that loving someone can be fun, painful, exciting, terrifying and gratifying all at the same time. I have learned that I have a calling to Belize. I have learned that on this short trip in New York, I am beginning my life's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment