Wednesday

The Beginning

Hello Blog Friends,

It has been awhile since I update this blog, but I have a good reason. I was moving. :-) So, I have made it safely to the Big Apple and am in my adjustment period. This is going to be a long one, so you might want to get a snack. In the past two weeks, I have changed locations, schools and careers and I am glad that I made these changes. I needed it. Speaking of change we will discuss the room.

I came into this situation knowing that New York was known for their small spaces, but I think I watched a few too many episodes of Seinfeld, Friends and Living Single, because this joker is SMALL. I walked into my apartment and darn near ran into my oversized Easy Bake oven, also known as the stove. As I went to turn into my room I had to dodge the Barbie's Dream house refrigerator, so as not to get knocked out. When I walked into the room itself, I looked at my mother and asked, "What have I gotten myself into?" She looked very worried for me at that point. We made our 1 short block trek to the local KMart and began purchasing items to make this box, I mean house a home. After some vibrant pink blankets and sheets and an awesome multi-colored flower rug, I was set. We Fung Shu'd the spot and I was feeling better.

During my mother's stay we caught a play, strolled Time Square, had some amazing Thai food, and made sure my shot records were up to date. As our arrival day was her birthday, I made it known to the lady checking us into the hotel. She was so kind, she upgraded our room to a suite with a balcony that I could barely walk out on as it was on the 18th floor and looking down freaked me out. Mom stood at the door. They sent up a lovely white wine and some very good chocolate cake. Big Ups to the DoubleTree on 56 and Lexington. They are alright with me. We enjoyed our stay and shopped til we dropped for family members who were nice enough to come over to my house and clear me out of there. I couldn't have done it without them.

I will be honest with you blog friends, I was sad that my mother's time was winding down with me, because I am so used to her always being around. On the day that she left and that I officially came to stay in my room, we cried. This separation was much harder than undergrad. I think there was a lot of finality in this, because we realized that life as we have known it for the past 7 years was changing forever.

My roommate wasn't to move in for another 10 or so days, so I had the run of the apartment however small it is to myself. I ventured out many of the days or fought with the terrible WiFi connection. I learned that New York is like and English Muffin, it is full of nooks and crannies. I have had amazing food, and New Yorkers are actually really nice people. Someone once told me that I have never met a stranger and that remains true. I have made many friends from dorm staff, to residents, to classmates. It is nice to know that you are not alone in such a large place, but at the end of the day when the lights went out and all was quiet in the empty hall. I was alone and lonely again. I prayed a lot, read some and watched a butt load of independent films, many of which were done by friends I made in L.A., unbeknownst to me.

My first day of work and the days following have been great Marissa has been a God send in keeping me away from my stressy ways. She told me to take this year for myself, to gain an even better self understanding and to just enjoy the right. For the first time since undergrad I am forced to be in the moment, and I love it. I feel appreciated for what I bring to the table and know that what I have to say is valued, heard and utilized for the bettering of all people in the department. I have so many options and opportunities that are already opening up. I can't elaborate completely on this, but I will be sure to let you know when I can.

Aside from missing family and friends in Denver, I miss my L.A. fam. The Morgan-Barkers, are like a second family and have always been supportive, so big ups to them. Ms. Alexander who provided me with transportation and lodging during the arduous task of cleaning out my storage space. Lots of memories and lots of trash. And my as you wish, Paul. Even though we have been in a long distance relationship the whole time, the distance is wider. Just had to have a shout out moment.

In any case, my roommate is great. She is kind and respectful as am I to her and we are getting along famously. Phew! We all know that I can be a pill to live with. 7 roommates in 4 years during undergrad. We spend time together, watch movies and just enjoy having another artist in our presence. It is nice to have that vibe again.

I haven't really seen a lot of New York yet, and am planning to venture out. Not right now though, we have a hurricane a coming. It will be my first hurricane, and I can officially say I have lived through all types of natural disaster type scenerios. Although it will only be a category 1, it is still a hurricane and I will live through it with my trust plaid raincoat and boots and black umbrella.

Aside from the general adjustment, my grandmother has been heavy on my heart as she had knee surgery today. She came through it like a trooper. I knew she would. She has a bit of a road and a battle to go through as this was a full knee replacement, but she has survived worse and does not seem to wear the battle scars to prove it. I am prayin for you grandmommy.

Well, that is my update for now. Feel free to ask questions in the comments section.

TTFN,

Amber N. TheApple

aka

The Manhattan Mona Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment